19-21 South Butler Avenue has been carved into apartments since the 1920s. It likely began life as a single family home in the early twentieth century. Elmer Allen, a hardware shop owner, and his family dwelled here in 1910. Other families to live here in the 1910s included the McCormacks and the Klines. The Alpha Rho Delta Fraternity occupied the place in mid-1920s. The young men who lived here could easily walk to the nearby Butler University campus. By 1928 the Reverend Joseph A. Joyce turned the home into the Joyce Apartments. Dozens of tenants have called this apartment home over the decades. Today, the structure appears to be vacant and awaiting a restoration.
The historic image was taken in 1924 while the contemporary image was shot in the early spring of 2011.