Saturday, September 29, 2018

Kendall Home Sold to Korbly Family in 1915

Calvin Kendall, the Superintendent of Public Schools for the city of Indianapolis, built a beautiful home on two acres of ground at 425 North Audubon Road in 1910. Within a year, he had been offered a similar position in Trenton, New Jersey so he put his beautiful property on the market. It took four years, but on May 22, 1915, the Indianapolis News announced that Bernard and Margaret Korbly had purchased the place for the hefty sum of $10,000.

Members of the Korbly family would dwell in the stucco-clad residence for much of the twentieth century. Bernard Korbly earned a comfortable income as an attorney. He first started as a partner in his father's firm. In 1919, he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, John G. McNutt. He also served as the counsel for the Indianapolis Power and Light Company where he would serve on the board of directors. An active Democrat, Mr. Korbly involved himself in a variety of roles for that party including as the state chair in 1912, 1913, 1914, and 1916. He attempted to run for public office as a judge, but was defeated.

Mr. Korbly married Margaret Crim in 1915. Mrs. Korbly was a very beautiful woman. Her grandchildren still recall her vivid blue eyes. She stayed home and raised the couple's two sons, Bernard, Jr. and John. She was keenly interested in Indiana history and collected items related to the early history of the city and the state. Her obituary noted that she also authored several articles on Indiana history.

The beautiful property was an incredible place for Bernard Jr. and John to grow up along. Pleasant Run Creek abuts the rear of the backyard and tall trees dominated the area. This section of Audubon Road was dubbed "Lovers Lane" by the locals. It was and is a quiet oasis amidst a vibrant neighborhood.

Mr. Korbly died first in 1935. Mrs. Korbly lived until 1942 leaving the property to her two young sons. Their story will be told in the next post.

The Korbly family moved into 425 North Audubon Road in the spring of 1915. They purchased the home from the Kendall family. This image was likely snapped in 1920. 


The Korbly home at 425 North Audubon Road in the winter of 1920 (image courtesy of Pat Dwyer) 

This image was taken on in the winter of 1920. The photographer was standing on North Audubon Road facing Michigan Street. The two houses in the photograph are located at 410 North Audubon Road and 425 North Audubon Road (image courtesy of Pat Dwyer) 

Bernard Korbly was an attorney and active member of the Democratic Party in Indiana. (Image scanned from Fellow Citizens of Indianapolis, 1926) 

Margaret Crim Korbly was a writer and member of the Women's Press Club. She was also interested in Indiana History. (image courtesy of Pat Dwyer)

Bernard Korbly, Jr. posed in  his sled in front of 425 North Audubon Road on January 26, 1920 (image courtesy of Pat Dwyer)

John and Bernard Korbly grew up at 425 North Audubon Road. The image was taken on April 3, 1922. (image courtesy of Pat Dwyer) 
Sources:  Interview with Patareka (Pat) Korbly Dwyer and Carole Scott Korbly, the granddaughters of Bernard and Margaret Korbly, September 21, 2018; Newspaper articles: "Buys the Kendall Home," Indianapolis News, May 22, 1915, 16; "Bernard Korbly Dies at Irvington Home," Indianapolis Star, March 30, 1935, 11; "Mrs. Korbly Dies in Hospital Here," Indianapolis News, April 29, 1942, 22.

Sunday, September 2, 2018

New Residence For Sale--1947

Throughout the summer and into the autumn of 1947, realtors advertised the sale of a brand new brick home at 6131 East Tenth Street.  Designed in the Cape Cod style, the dwelling was listed at $19, 500, a large sum for that year. Developers hoped that the post-war real estate boom in Indianapolis would continue as returning World War II veterans married, started their families, and needed proper housing. It appears that the first family to move into the lovely house was Morgan V. and Mary R. Ray. Mr. Ray was a sales manager for the F.S. Royster Fertilizer Company. They had two sons, Phillip and Morgan, Jr. The home went back on the market in 1955 and was eventually purchased by the Epping family. Several others have called the residence "home" over the years.

Little has changed in the seventy years since this attractive brick home at 6131 East 10th Street was constructed in 1947.  Ads in the summer of 1947, touted the home's proximity to the Pleasant Run Golf Course.  (image courtesy of the Indianapolis Star, July 27, 1947)