With so many veterans returning to Indianapolis, jobs were not easy to find. Leland, a Butler University graduate, landed employment at East Side Chevrolet near the corner of Washington Street and Ritter Avenue. It was not a dream job, but he did not mind being around Irvington because his buddies had reintroduced him to Anna Belle York (121 South Berry Avenue). She lived with her parents and her young son Robert, and worked nearby at the Missions Building (222 Downey Avenue). The couple began to date and by February of 1947 they were married. Upon returning from their honeymoon in Washington D.C., a fellow worker at the East Side Chevrolet told Leland that Western Electric was hiring. Sensing an opportunity, he drove out during his lunch hour for an interview and landed a job. He would remain for the next thirty-five years eventually attaining the rank of supervisor.
Finding an adequate house after World War II, was nearly impossible for most veterans as there had been very little construction during the war. Many homeowners in Indianapolis divided their large homes and turned them into rentals. Leland and Anna Belle spent the first months of their marriage in a "shack" in northern Warren Township. They had no indoor toilet. Both had been raised in Irvington, so this was not a standard either really cared for although Leland reports that they were very happy. Eventually, the couple found a lovely small home at 861 North Bosart Avenue in Emerson Heights just west of Irvington. They also welcomed a daughter, Linda. (Jimmy would come later.) With a growing family and income, the Dickersons moved out of the small Bosart Avenue cottage and by the early 1950s they found a larger place along Ridgeview Drive. Stay tuned as I will chronicle the Ridgeview years in the next installment!
|Newlyweds: Leland and Anna Belle York Dickerson at the York home at 121 South Berry Avenue (February, 1947)|
|Instant Family: Leland and Anna Belle Dickerson and young Bobby, who also became a Dickerson standing in front of the York home at 121 South Berry Avenue in February, 1947|
|The Dickerson home at 861 North Bosart Avenue in 1948|
|Growing Family: Anna Belle and Leland Dickerson posed with Linda and Bobby in front of 861 North Bosart Avenue in June of 1949|