Christian Scientists had been actively involved in their faith in Irvington as early as the 1920s. Residents Robert Marsh, Richard Shimer, and local artist Dorothy Morlan were some of the early trustees. (See Paul Diebold, Greater Irvington for more information on the early years.) The church purchased lots along Pleasant Run Parkway in 1924 and began construction in 1936. Archival film footage of the cornerstone laying and subsequent construction may be found at the Indiana Historical Society. The building at 5201 East Pleasant Run Parkway South was formally dedicated in 1945. The church was designed by architect Charles Wilbur Foster, a member of the church. The plan of the building was reflective of the neo-colonial revival style very popular in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s in the US and is somewhat unusual for Irvington.
The Christian Scientist population dwindled in Irvington by the Millennium and the congregation sold the building and moved into a small reading room in the 100 block of South Audubon Road. A Seventh-Day Adventist congregation moved in by 2005.
The historic photo was taken around 1950. Note how small the sycamore and evergreen trees are in the photo. In the contemporary photos, taken on June 2, 2011, you can see the trees have grown to great heights. The current occupants seem to be struggling with some maintenance issues with the structure. Otherwise, the building looks very similar to how it did upon its construction over seventy years ago.