|Cousins--Larry Dillard, Ann Hart, and Mary Ellen Stokesberry gather for a birthday party at 5930 East Washington Street (demolished) in March, 1943. Behind them you can also see 5934 East Washington Street. (demolished)|
Monday, March 25, 2013
One of Irvington's lost intersections is that of East Washington Street and Arlington Avenue. Local families built beautiful homes on each corner. With the need for filling stations, developers eventually demolished or altered all four corners throughout the mid-twentieth century. On the northwest corner of that now forlorn gathering of streets, sat two regal homes at 5930 and 5934 East Washington Street. The Ruhsenberger family occupied 5930 and thankfully one of our faithful readers, Ann Hart Stewart, has sent us several images of what the area used to look like. Today, we are transported to March of 1943, when three cousins gathered to celebrate the birthdays for the girls--Ann Hart and Mary Ellen Stokesbery. A third cousin, Larry Dillard, joined the party. All three children shared the Ruhsenbergers as their grandparents and young Larry and Ann actually dwelled at 5930. Mary Ellen could easily walk from her home at 352 Burgess Avenue. It must have been a cool day as the children were wearing coats and sweaters. The home most visible in the photo is that of 5934 East Washington Street, which actually stood on the corner. To see more images from this interesting Irvington family, click on the Ruhsenberger link below. This historic image is courtesy of Ann Hart Stewart, who just celebrated a milestone birthday. Happy birthday, Ann!