Seven different families called 341 South Audubon Road home before 1942 including the Holtzenhausens, Smiths, McMartins, Landers', Walkers, Cordhills, and Quaites. The home was completed by 1927 and Otto F. Holtzhausen, a printer, and his family, were the first to call the two-bedroom bungalow home. Situated among three other bungalows, the home was part of a mini-building boom in Irvington that lasted until the Stock Market Crash of 1929. Contractors built several other bungalows nearby on Beechwood, Rawles, Burgess, and Ritter Avenues. North of the home at the corner of Oak Avenue and Audubon Road stood the majestic Carr Home, an original Italianate, from the first building boom of the 1870s and 1880s. It still stands today and will be featured in future posts.
Stability arrived to the house when Leroy and Helen Hunt moved in with their son Michael in 1942. They would later add Janet into the mix and remain in the home for decades. Mr. Hunt worked as a pharmacist while Mrs. Hunt raised the children and volunteered with the Irvington Presbyterian Church.
These mid-century photos, likely taken around 1956, show that Mr. Hunt had already enclosed the porch. Later the Hunts would also add aluminum siding. The original 1920s era detached garage remains as do many lovely interior features such as built in cupboards, and several 1920s era light fixtures. In one of the photos you can also get a glimpse of 345 South Audubon Road, another bungalow. The contemporary image was taken on July 28, 2011. The historic images are courtesy of Helen Hunt.