With its ideal location across from the Butler University campus, the Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority moved into this new dwelling at 215 South Butler Avenue in 1923. It is not known at this time whether the house was built for the organization or on speculation, but the young women lived in the house until Butler moved out of Irvington in 1928. Clarence C. and Hester Finch lived in the home for a year until 1930 when Henry Schwimmer, an electrician, and his wife Rose moved in and stayed until 1933.
Beginning in 1934, Clifford E. Wagoner, an insurance agent, and his wife Jean Brown Wagoner moved in and remained in the home until the 1980s. Mrs. Wagoner received national attention as a children's book biographer. She also became a beloved figure in the neighborhood reminding children that it was "going to be a good day!" (Interview with Sherri Wood Emmons, a former resident of 234 South Butler) You may learn more about her by clicking on the Wagoner Family link below.
The historic photos show the home shortly after it was completed in 1923. Members of the Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority pose both inside and outside of their home. Note the beautiful woodwork, wall sconces, and interesting staircase. The historic images are courtesy of Amy Friedly. The contemporary image was shot in the autumn of 2011.