|The Phelps family moved into the Wheeler Home in 1954|
In 1954, Robert E. Phelps (1919-2004) and his wife Eva Mae Chaille Phelps (1921-2002) became the next long-term residents. Mrs. Phelps grew up in Irvington. Her father's family operated Chailles Shoes, a business that began at 9 North Ritter Avenue in the 1920s and eventually moved to 5622 E. Washington Street. Mr. Phelps took over the family business and ran it until the early 1990s. Chaille's Shoes became an institution in neighborhood as generations of Irvingtonians purchased shoes there. (A future post will be dedicated to this business.) Mrs. Phelps, as she was called by her students, taught at Schools 58 and 85 for twenty-eight years.
|The Phelps family ran Chaille Shoes at 5622 East Washington Street in the second half of the 20th century. Louis Saba, a clerk for Chaille's Shoes stands next to the shoe rack. He later moved to Las Vegas where he bought a gas station.|
The couple collected antiques and raised their children in the beautifully-sited home. Mrs. Phelps liked bright colors and painted some of the rooms in the house, including the gallery, in yellows and reds. They had the reputation of being kind neighbors and were very much interested in the home's history. The family maintained ownership of the property until 2004.
|The Wheeler-Phelps Home in an undated photo.|
You may learn more about the history of this home by clicking on the Wheeler Family link below. The historic images are courtesy of Michele and Bruce Oertel and Kent Hankins.