|Streetcar at North Emerson and East Michigan Street c1915|
Sunday, March 30, 2014
Michigan Streetcar Line--c1915
Three separate streetcar lines came into Irvington. The oldest line, a former mule-powered transport, followed the Brookville Road. The most widely-used line traversed East Washington Street from downtown to Sheridan Avenue. It also followed down part of South Audubon Road to a small commercial section of the neighborhood. The last streetcar line to be built in the neighborhood was the East Michigan Street line which terminated at Emerson Avenue. This line connected downtown and several other east side neighborhoods including Tuxedo Park and Emerson Heights and was completed in 1911. In this photo, Indianapolis Traction Company employees--one of whom was a man named Zero Horner--stood at the intersection of North Emerson Avenue and East Michigan Street c1915. The commercial structure behind the car used to stand on the northeast corner of that intersection.
This image is courtesy of the Horner family via Ancestry.com.