Saturday, March 19, 2011

275 South Audubon Road--Then and Now

This beautiful home has graced Audubon Road since 1908. William Denvir and his wife Mary were the first to dwell in the house. William served as a manager for the Underwood Typewriter Company. They had at least three children while living in this house including William A., Robert S., and Daisy M. The youngest, who was named for her grandmother, was actually born in the house. Daisy C. Stuyesvant, the widow to Moses, and mother of Mary, also dwelled here.

275 South Audubon Road has had a variety of families living in it including the Stevensons, Wonderlys, Braznells, Burges, Crowells, Guthries, Antles, Andersons, Kings, Sees, Hartmans, Malvases, and the Ecksteins. The house also served as a sorority for Butler University in the mid-1920s.

In the historic photo taken in 1924 you can also see the Children's Guardian Home in the background and part of the double at 301-303 S. Audubon Road. The contemporary photo was taken on March 19, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment