IPS #57 is one of the oldest continuously run school buildings in the city of Indianapolis. The school has gone through many additions and renovations since it was first constructed on the southwest corner of East Washington Street and Ritter Avenue in 1903. The school district commissioned local architect, Herbert Foltz, to design the substantial two-story building. Further additions in 1914 and 1922 provided much needed classroom space as the community continued to grow. In the early 1930s, the community petitioned that the building be named after George Washington Julian, a former US Congressman and Irvington resident. The historic photos, courtesy of Larry Muncie, show three views of the school before officials enlarged it. Further stories about Irvington schools may be found in Irvington Stories by Larry Muncie (1992) and Greater Irvington by Paul Diebold (1997). Oral histories conducted in the 1980s and 1990s also contain a wealth of information about the teachers and principals who worked here. You may now access those interviews online by going to the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library's website.