Saturday, December 1, 2012

Martin Home of English Avenue--Then and Now

John and Dora Martin built their dream home at 5225 East English Avenue in 1925.  The American Four Square house sat on a large lot along what has always been an important southern Irvington street.   The street car line that ran down the corridor was the first to connect Indianapolis with the neighborhood.  Later lines along East Washington Street and Michigan Street would be built to accommodate the growing community.  John Martin worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad.  The Martins could likely hear the distant trains along that path and from the nearby Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.  Mrs. Martin died in 1936.  Sadly, she did not live to see the marriage of her daughter, Margaret to Verl Muncie at her beautiful home in 1937.  The home remains much as it did in 1925 although the porch has been enclosed and vinyl siding now covers the clapboards.  These wonderful historic photos are courtesy of Larry Muncie.

The Martin home at 5225 East English Avenue in 1925 shortly after it was completed

The Martin home at 5225 East English Avenue in 1930. Note the beautiful spirea bushes. 

Verl Muncie and his new bride on their wedding day in 1937. They were married at her childhood home at 5225 East English Avenue.  Also pictured:  Ralph and Gladys Shimer.  

John Martin with his second wife Fronie c.1940

5225 East English Avenue in 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment