Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Life Along Irvington Avenue in the 1930s

Robert E. and Mary Stevenson along with their nephew, Edward Lollis, moved into 56 South Irvington Avenue in 1932.  The family had been dwelling in a grand house along Washington Street, but they sold that house in 1928 and lived in a few other homes in Irvington before finally settling down once again.  The Depression had not been kind to the Stevensons, but they managed to put together enough money to buy the large house at the intersection of Julian and Irvington Avenues. Young Edward had graduated from Butler University in 1927.  He had wanted to attend Purdue University and did so for one year, but his Uncle Robert told him that there was no more money for Purdue so he came home and majored in mathematics at Butler.  Mr. Lollis then enrolled and graduated from law school.

Mary Stevenson's parents, Edward and Ohio Pulver, lived nearby at 112 Johnson Avenue. Within a very short amount of time, however, Mrs. Stevenson would lose both her father and husband.  Her comfortable world was about to change dramatically.

Shortly after moving into 56 South Irvington, Mary Stevenson grabbed her trusty camera and documented the home and the nearby neighborhood.  She was clearly house proud and once again had a fine home for her beautiful grand piano.

56 South Irvington Avenue c1933

Ohio Pulver visited her daughter, Mary Stevenson, at 56 South Irvington Avenue c1935.  Note the beautiful spirea behind her.  Many Irvington residents planted this lovely bush next to their homes.  

Beautiful flowers next to 56 South Irvington Avenue c1935

Mary Stevenson's grand piano sat in the parlor at 56 South Irvington Avenue c1935

To the point:  The front yard at 56 South Irvington Avenue c1935. Beyond the beautiful hedge you can see homes along Julian Avenue towards Ritter Avenue.  

56 South Irvington Avenue has been altered over the years. It was eventually carved into at least four apartments. Sometime in the mid-twentieth century, a landlord added faux stone.  Vinyl siding now covers the clapboard. (Photo by Bill Gulde in 2015)
The historic images are courtesy of Ted Lollis.

No comments:

Post a Comment