One of the best kept secrets in Irvington is the beautiful little enclave of Pleasanton located east of Emerson and south of Michigan Street. Platted in 1915 by William Alexander Ketchum, the neighborhood has recently been added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. Ketchum's plat mirrored Irvington's street design with curving avenues and the planting of shade trees. The housing stock is quite diverse with American Four Squares, bungalows, and various revival styles. Most of the housing went up in the early and mid-1920s. Today the neighborhood is fortunate to have reproduction street lights that add to the charm. In the coming days, you shall see several historic views of this interesting neighborhood. Dan Marshall, a Pleasanton resident, has begun to document the history of the neighborhood. More details on that project will also be posted.
The only historic image for today is that of Evelyn Schneider, who is standing in front of her childhood at 327 Poplar Road in 1925. The Schneiders lived in that bungalow for decades. The historic image is courtesy of Bill Ferling.
The contemporary images were taken on February 20, 2012.